Saturday, March 26, 2011

UCC

I read some good things about UCC (Ubuntu Control Center) earlier today and decided to check it out. The author of this page wrote some instructions for installing UCC.  I followed these instructions perfectly but when I ran the command to install UCC I encountered an issue.  I received errors about packages not being installed (see below).

sudo dpkg -i ucc_051_i386.deb


(Reading database ... 127247 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ucc 0.5.1 (using ucc_051_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ucc ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ucc:
 ucc depends on bum; however:
  Package bum is not installed.
 ucc depends on gufw; however:
  Package gufw is not installed.
 ucc depends on simple-ccsm; however:
  Package simple-ccsm is not installed.
 ucc depends on startupmanager; however:
  Package startupmanager is not installed.
 ucc depends on gparted; however:
  Package gparted is not installed.
 ucc depends on deja-dup; however:
  Package deja-dup is not installed.
 ucc depends on libglew1.5; however:
  Package libglew1.5 is not installed.
 ucc depends on libnotify-bin; however:
  Package libnotify-bin is not installed.
dpkg: error processing ucc (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache...
Processing triggers for python-support ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 ucc

Shortly after this happened Update Manager asked me to install some updates.  I said yes and I received a "Update Manager is broken" error.  The error suggested I run the following command:

sudo apt-get install -f

The command fixed the broken packages.  I completed the installation procedure for UCC successfully.  I did not dig into this tool too much but from what I can see it can be useful.  I like how the majority of the settings in Ubuntu can be changed from one place.

More information about apt-get can be found in it's man pages.

man apt-get

No comments:

Post a Comment